Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Best Albums of 2009

Here is my annual list of the finest albums of the year, in my opinion. As always, I'm curious to hear your thoughts. I'm also hammering out my best tracks of 09 CD right now, if you would like a copy, just let me know, I'd be glad to burn one for you.

30. Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3: The first half of this album would deserve much higher placement, the last half killed it though.

29. Antony & The Johnsons - The Crying Light: More oddly beautiful tunes from everyone's favorite weird man-who-is-sort-of-a-woman. I hope he records the versions of these songs he played at Coachella, they were much better.

28. Motor - Metal Machine: Hard electro is still alive and kicking, this album is the proof.

27. The Bran Flakes - I Have Hands: One of the year's craziest albums, an insane sugar rush of samples and carnivalesque frivolity.

26. Nero's Day At Disneyland - From Rotting Fantasylands: THIS is the years craziest album, a burst of electronic madness that is unnerving and fun at the same time.

25. The Dead Weather - Horehound: I love Jack White, I also like that other chick in the band who isn't Jack White, they make a good team.

24. Various Artists - The Sound of Wonder!: An excellent compilation of far-out Pakistani film music. It sounds like Bollywood music, but with way more synth.

23. Kid Sister - Ultraviolet: Kid Sisters old school flow works well against the upbeat electro beats, one of the most fun albums of the year.

22. The Flaming Lips - Embryonic: The Lips go all dark kraut-rock on our asses. I like it.

21. Sparklehorse - Dark Night of Soul: Not sure whether this album ever actually got put out due to rights issues, but it's a great collaborative album regardless.

20. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest: I actually think this album is overrated, but the song "Two Weeks" makes me want to piss my pants every time it's so good.

19. HEALTH - Get Color: Goal for 2010, finally see these guys live. L.A.'s favorite noise rock band are back and better than ever with this album.

18. The Big Pink - A Brief History of Love: Delightful Shoegazy pop. Listen to "Dominoes" and you'll fall in love.

17. "The Beatles" - Everyday Chemistry: Despite the ridiculous promotional claims (http://www.thebeatlesneverbrokeup.com/), this is actually a great Beatles mash-up album.

16. Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms: Dreamy and intentionally nostalgic. A lovely album.

15. Dengue Fever - Sleepwalking Through The Mekong: A throw-back to Cambodian Psych-rock of the 60's (yes, that's right). I'm not that familiar with the genre, but these guys make me want to be.

14. Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport: More accessible than their previous effort, but still delightfully strange.

13. Sonic Youth - The Eternal: The old bastards still got it in 'em.

12. Minty Fresh Beats - Jaydiohead: Everyone says mash-ups are tired now, but I submit this album to the contrary. You'd never guess a Jay-Z/Radiohead mash-up could work so well.

11. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca: This is one of those bands I've heard of for ages but never really listened to, I'm glad I started now.

10. Pisces - A Lovely Sight: A lost Psychedelic gem. This album was recorded in the 60's but never released until now. The Numero group has hit another home run by releasing this.

9. Wavves - Wavvves: Yes, I am a hipster.

8. The Mountain Goats - The Life of the World To Come: The Mountain Goats do the bible, and they do it well.

7. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix: I honestly hadn't heard of these guys before this album came out, but I have seen the error of my ways. I don't care if they're trendy, I love this album.

6. The Antlers - Hospice: The most heartbreakingly beautiful album of the year.

5. Girls - Album: Despite being permanently scarred by their NSFW music video. This is a great album that's full of life.

4. Charlotte Gainsbourg - IRM: Apparently this album won't be officially released in the U.S. until January, but I had to include it on my '09 list because it's too damn good. Even better than her last album.

3. Kutiman - Thru You: Here is my other submission to the "mash-ups are not dead" folder. If you don't already know, these songs were made entirely out of youtube videos, it's a gimmicky premise that turned into something truly incredible. Check it out here http://thru-you.com/.

2. Passion Pit - Manners: Definitely my most played album of '09. Absurdly catchy electro-pop, this album will probably sound out of date by 2010, but I'll enjoy it for now.


1. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion: As previously stated: Yes, I am a hipster.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want a copy of the CD! I don't have any new music.

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for putting Jaydiohead on this list!

Also check out www.doublecheckyourhead.com for a Beastie Boys remix album.

I have some new stuff coming in 2010 so definitely stay tuned!

http://twitter.com/maxtannone

Thanks!

-Max