Friday, December 19, 2008

Top 20 Christmas Songs

Just in time for Xmas, I give you my list of the best Christmas songs ever made, ever.

20. Little Cindy - Happy Birthday Jesus (An adorable little southern girl talks to Jesus about his birthday, unintentionally hilarious and touching at the same time)

19. Atom and His Package - What We Do On Christmas (A song about what the Jews do on Christmas day, eating Chinese food and making soup of the blood of the Christian born apparently)

18. The Drifters - White Christmas (I know it's a bit blasphemous to put a non-Bing Crosby version on here, but this version is just better, in case you don't know, this is the version used in Home Alone, I rest my case)

17. Alvin & The Chipmunks - Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) (C'mon, you know you love it)

16. C-3po & R2-D2 - Christmas in the Stars (From the unavailable Star Wars Christmas special, This song is teeeerrible, but I love so very much)

15. Zooey Deschanel (Feat. Leon Redbone) - Baby It's Cold Outside (Yeah, the version from Elf. I just can't get enough of Zooey's voice, plus I'm in love with her)

14. Elvis Presley - Blue Christmas (Elvis gets all emo on us, but like a man)

13. Jimmy Eat World - Last Christmas (I seem to always like the sad christmas songs the best, this one takes the cake for depressing)

12. The Cankles - Grandma (How can one not like a totally deadpan screamo cover of Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer?)

11. Otis Redding - Merry Christmas, Baby (Otris brings his silky smooth soul stylings to Christmas music, everyone wins)

10. Lou Monte - Dominic The Italian Christmas Donkey (The touching story of a donkey who helps Santa climb the steep hills of Italy, because Santa apparently doesn't use his sleigh there... This song is a bonafide novelty classic.)

9. Eartha Kitt - Santa Baby (Trim my Christmas tree? This song is filthy, and ol' Eartha sings it better than anyone)

8. Thurl Ravenscroft - You're a Mean One Mister Grinch (The most ridiculous lyrics ever written, but they get their point across)

7. AKIM & The Teddy Vann Production Company - Santa Claus is a Black Man (Heard this one for the first time this year and it blew my mind, this is exactly what the title implies, a songs sung by a little kid explaining that Santa Claus is acutally a righteous brother)

6. The Vince Guaraldi Trio - Christmastime is Here (perfectly captures the spirit of the TV special and the holiday season in general)

5. Sufjan Stevens - O Come O Come Emmanuel (A gorgeous rendition from the master, the highlight from a series of albums with plenty of highlights)

4. Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) (Phil Spector is such a genius, to bad he's a murderer)

3. Copeland - Do You Hear What I Hear? (I generally don't like this song, but Copeland's stunningly beautiful rendition gets me every time)

2. Robert Shaw Chorale - Carol of the Bells (This song is the haunting Christmas tune you'll ever hear, it gives me chills)

1. Judy Garland - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (As I said, I tend to go for the sad Christmas songs, and while the lyrics of this song aren't neccesarily sad, Garland's vocals are rife with somber pathos)

Merry Christmas Everybody!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i know i'm a few months late, but i love this! i'm glad i'm not the only one who loves christmas songs.
Sufjan Stevens - O Come O Come Emmanuel = sooo beautiful.
zooey singing baby it's cold outside.. I had it stuck in my head all winter long. love it.
one song you missed.. run DMC - christmas in hollis